Thursday, November 18, 2010

True Grit

I don't much care for Hollywood remakes.  Although some say such imitation is a form of flattery to the original, I believe it's a reflection of the inability of Hollywood producers and writers to come up with original material.  Just as the sequel rarely lives up to the original, so the remake is often a flop.  Think "Psycho."  Think Americanized version of "Lord of the Flies."  I'm a big fan of Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges, and even sometimes the Coen brothers.  But a remake of "True Grit"?  Oh, puhleeze.

I didn't really mean to get off on Hollywood remakes.  I wanted to talk about "true grit."  My Granny had true grit.  Born into a wealthy and politically prominent family, she was destined for Julliard to become a concert pianist.  Instead she married a small-town rancher, with whom she herded sheep and cattle on an Indian reservation, with one child strapped in front and the other behind. She used to boast about cooking meals on triple-stacked Dutch ovens.  She became a teacher of elementary school and music to hundreds, and financially supported or assisted many dozens of those through high school and college.  When her husband died mid-term, she was appointed by the governor to serve in the legislature, where she remained many more years.  She lived on for 35 more years, politically and socially active to the end. 

A great-grandmother from another branch crossed the plains by herself with four daughters while her husband served an LDS mission to the Sandwich Islands.  Demonstrating the aforementioned true grit, she raised the girls largely by herself while he served the Lord.  She later joined him on a mission, becoming the first woman missionary of the Church.  Her journal reflects of woman of great faith, and limitless determination.

I myself reflect the true grit of my ancestors.  This morning I got dressed in my heated home, drove four minutes in my heated car to school, patrolled at recess for 15 minutes in a cold wind, helped a few children with schoolwork, and returned to my comfortable home.  But I have a sinus infection, so that 15 minutes in the cold wind was a true test of character, don't you think?

2 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

Snort.

The LaLa said...

It's all relative. And they were your relatives (and mine), so that counts. :) I have an achy jaw from two hours' worth of crown work at the dentist today. Does that count as true grit? I doubt it, since I used my i-pod to "grit" my way through it. Let us face it, my dear sister, we are wussy wimps in comparison to our Granny.