Friday, November 19, 2010

Sarah Palin's Alaska

This isn't a blog about Sarah Palin the politician.  I have opinions about her in that regard, but that's not the subject today.  I caught her new series "Sarah Palin's Alaska" the other night, and was captivated.  In the first place, I've never been to Alaska, but practically everyone I know has, and I'm jealous.  The photography in the first show was gorgeous.  It is truly a place of remarkable variety and beauty.  I highly recommend the show, if only to see close up and personal the incredible scenery.

It's also sort of a reality show, if the first episode is an indication.  There were little snippets of scenes on the home front with the kids and various friends and acquaintances.  There was also a brief scene of how Sarah does interviews from a private studio on the grounds of her home.  She has a really cool home.  I covet her really cool home. 

But what I really came away with was a great admiration for Sarah's energy, enthusiasm, and physical courage.  I've never been much of an athlete, and I'm afraid of heights and great speed and wild ferocious animals - you know, the normal things.  Sarah admitted to some concern about some of those same things.  Nevertheless, she went salmon fishing only a few yards from a mother bear and cubs; flew on a lake plane through stormy weather with her husband and daughter; and climbed Mt McKinley - and I mean serious rock climbing with ropes and finger and toe holds.  I realize there's an "attitude" one assumes when millions of people are going to be watching you on television.  Nevertheless, I found her sense of humor and intrepid spirit very engaging.  As someone who shudders at having to take out the garbage in cold weather, I applaud women of courage and daring who are willing to take chances just for the experience.  So hooray for you, Sarah!  You go, girl!

2 comments:

Janet and Nate said...

Love your blogging alias writings! Miss you! :D

The LaLa said...

I have such mixed feelings about SP. But I've seen some bits and pieces of the show and she does show some grit, surely. And Alaska is the star of the show.