Thursday, December 2, 2010

Exactly How Powerful Are You?

I'm no physicist, so those of you who are, or who at least understand physics, should please bear with me as I summarize something I heard today at a seminar.  The speaker was discussing "belief codes" - understandings we need to have about our beliefs in order to rid ourselves of false beliefs and adopt valid ones.  Belief No. 1 is "What happens in me re-arranges the life around me."  I thought that was a bit of an over-reach, until she gave the following account:

At the most microscopic level, everything is composed of particles of energy.  By the year 2,000, it was established that every living thing is connected to everything else.  This is (apparently) the quantum string theory.  Tests were done by giving people one drop of water.  The people holding the drop were instructed to use words such as "love," "peace," "hope," - "good" words.  Following this, the drops were magnified 20,000 times.  Their structure showed a neat, orderly arrangement.  Then the people were given a single drop and instructed to use "bad" words - "hate," "despair," "war" etc.  Again the drops were magnified 20,000 times.  This time their structure was disorganized and distorted.  Whoah. 

The speaker expanded the concept into everyday life:  how our daily attitudes and actions "rearrange" what goes on around us in our homes, work, relationships, and so forth.  Because we are connected to everything and everyone, every action we take or word we speak "rearranges" life around us, causing things to happen or not happen as a result.  Her point was to persuade us to hold ourselves accountable for the results in our life. 

Now the oracle in me ("oracle" is a term of art - means I tend to be analytical) says that this principle applies to everybody, so if my neighbor plays his drums at 2:00 am he is rearranging my molecules, so how does that make me responsible for my irritation?  As I understand it, the irritation is a choice - I could choose to admire his skill, even at that hour of the morning, thus leaving his molecules neat and orderly. 

I will, however, accept responsibility for the fact that my cucumbers didn't grow this summer, for succumbing and buying a carton of Blue Bunny peppermint ice cream, and for rearranging the molecules of numerous people in my life.  What's your story?  Exactly how powerful are you?

2 comments:

The LaLa said...

I'd like to rearrange the molecules of the yappy little dog who barks incessantly in the yard behind us, so I can't leave my sliding glass doors open to enjoy our lovely weather. How do I rearrange the molecules of his owners without offending a neighbor? And speaking of "sliding doors" -- this principle reminds me of that movie, Sliding Doors. Every choice we make in word or deed affects our successive choices, along with the lives of everyone around us. No one operates in a vacuum. Or is it that I don't like to operate a vacuum! I'm confused. Very interesting concept! :)

The LaLa said...

I like the new look! Lovely.