Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What Do I Do Next?

Today, June 14, is my birthday.  At 9:14 this morning, I became 67 years old.  I'm sure I share with many other 67-year-olds a sense of astonishment at having lived so long without having accomplished anything more noteworthy than occupying space on earth for 67 years.

When I was 10, my maternal grandfather died.  He had just turned 67.  Now there was a man of remarkable accomplishment.  He was a missionary; a telegrapher; a sheepherder, farmer and rancher; a surveyor and real estate developer; a school teacher, coach, principal and superintendent; a scholar and writer; a legislator; an owner and operator of the town waterworks; and an actor.  He died taking his secret recipe for buttermilk pancakes with him.

I have no secret recipes.  I have many cookbooks I rarely use.  

I've often wondered what more he might have accomplished had he lived as long as his widow, who continued on for 35 years!!! after he died.  At the age of 60, she was appointed by the governor of Arizona to replace her husband in the legislature, where she served for 12 years.  She had shared with and supported her husband in all his endeavors, and continued most of them herself.  She was also an accomplished elementary and music teacher to hundreds; a musician and choir director; and she grew the biggest, juiciest raspberries and strawberries in the county.

I have neither raspberries nor strawberries, except the ones in my freezer, bought on sale.

So at least in theory, I have somewhere between one month and 35 years to play catch up - to overcome 67 years of sloth.  Although I have a bucket list of sorts, it's full of what I know are rather selfish or self-centered wants:  a return trip to Scotland; a smaller waistline; a newer car. But is it selfish to also want to make a difference?  To have my efforts count for something other than filling up space and time?   I'm open to suggestions from any and all.  So here's the question:  What do I do next?  As soon as I sign off, I'm going to plant a few things in my square foot garden.  After that ---------?

I'm waiting for your suggestions - really.

2 comments:

The LaLa said...

When I figure out the answer to your question, I'll put it into practice in my own life. Our grandparents were remarkable, and they gave us a fine legacy, but a daunting one to emulate. You are also a fine teacher, singer, mother, aunt, sister, friend, organizer, cheerleader, writer, storyteller, paralegal, realtor, tenacious advocate, spiritual survivor and mentor...how about we worry less about what we do next, and just concentrate on being...our best selves. I think achievement is less important than the kind of people we become. At least, it had better be, or I'm in deep yogurt. Love you, Fifi. Happy Belated Birthday!

Evelyn Jeffries said...

Well, my sister makes a good point. And nobody else makes any point at all. Guess I'll just keep muddling.