Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Priesthood Vignette

I have for several years served as a church service missionary for the LDS Church.  I've been spending the day on a mission research assignment about the priesthood.  Reviewing conference talks from our leaders caused me to recall a lovely moment from my past.  It was one of those brief, special scenes in which no words were spoken, but the message was profound.

Sacrament Meeting had started in my Phoenix ward.  Announcements were made, the opening song and prayer delivered, and ward business handled.  The then stake president, Darwin Davis, was sitting on the stand.  I don't recall if he was there to speak, or if he was just visiting.  The bishop announced the sacrament song, and we began singing.  I looked toward the sacrament table, and there was no one there.  Apparently the teachers and deacons had fulfilled their responsibilities, but no priests had shown up.  I caught President Davis's eye and pointed to the table.  He looked over, then nodded to Darrell Pennell, of the stake high council, sitting in the congregation. The two of them walked quietly to the table and began breaking the bread.  When the song ended, they in turn knelt and blessed the sacrament.   

I'm sure the bishop and priesthood leaders were embarrassed, but I remember it only as a quiet, Christlike manifestation of priesthood power and responsibility.  I don't doubt that had there been deacons missing, those two leaders would as calmly have served the sacrament.  They acted humbly in the place of and in the name of the One who first broke the bread and served the wine and asked that we partake in remembrance of Him. 

It's a vignette I treasure for all that was unsaid.

2 comments:

The LaLa said...

Sweet. Terry has had some similar experiences in his work with the young men. I would bet that example was not lost on other Priesthood holders who were present -- who also could have stepped up to the table.

Katie Cannon said...

Evelyn Thank you for sharing this! I'm blessed that my dad has quietly stepped up to fulfill his priesthood duties time and time again with no desire for recognition. He is excellent in all areas of his life but I have to say we've always known that his family and church have been his priority his entire life. Thank you again! -Katie Pennell "Proudly Daryl's Daughter"